Water is the healthiest drink for our body, keeping it hydrated and flushing out toxins. Alkaline water is particularly beneficial for people with psoriasis due to its high pH level and mineral content, which can alleviate symptoms and maintain skin health. Learn more about the effects of alkaline water on psoriasis in our comprehensive article.
Benefits of Alkaline Water for Psoriasis
Alkaline water is water that has a higher pH level than regular tap water, typically between 7.5 and 9.5. This increased alkalinity is thought to neutralize the acidic waste products in the body, which can contribute to skin disorders like psoriasis.
So, what are the benefits of alkaline water for psoriasis? Here are some of the most notable:
- Maintains pH balance: Alkaline water helps to maintain the body’s pH balance, which is essential for overall skin health. When our body is too acidic, it can lead to inflammation, which can trigger psoriasis flare-ups. Drinking alkaline water can help keep our pH levels in check, reducing the risk of inflammation.
- Rich in minerals: Alkaline water is often naturally rich in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium, which are essential for healthy skin. These minerals can help to promote cell regeneration and repair, keeping the skin hydrated and reducing inflammation.
- Hydration: Hydration is key for overall health, and psoriasis patients are no exception. Drinking alkaline water can help to keep the body hydrated, which is crucial for skin health. When the skin is hydrated, it is less prone to dryness, cracking, and itching, which are common symptoms of psoriasis.
- Detoxification: Alkaline water can help to flush out toxins from the body, which is essential for psoriasis patients. Toxins can trigger psoriasis flare-ups, so eliminating them from the body can help to reduce the frequency and severity of symptoms.
While more research is needed to fully understand the benefits of alkaline water for psoriasis, the evidence so far suggests that it can be a useful addition to a psoriasis treatment plan.
Other Benefits of Consuming Alkaline Water for Psoriasis
- Antioxidant Properties: The pH levels in alkaline water help to slow down the process of oxidation, which can damage cells and accelerate aging effects. The high amount of antioxidants in alkaline water helps to reduce the impact of oxidation, increasing survival functions and promoting longevity.
- Boosts Immune System: An acidic system can lead to diseases, but consuming alkaline water can help reduce the effects of acidity in the blood, preventing the immune system from weakening and restoring balance. This can be particularly beneficial for psoriasis patients who need help controlling imbalances.
- Reduces Inflammation: Alkaline water can detoxify the body and potentially decrease ongoing inflammation, a common factor in psoriasis. It can also be easier on the liver and kidneys by reducing the amount of chlorine and other cleaning agents.
- Improves Bone Health: Psoriasis patients are at a higher risk for bone health degradation, but consuming alkaline water can benefit bone resorption. This process breaks down old bone cells and regenerates new ones, resulting in stronger bones and a reduction in aging and inflammation issues.
Pro tip: Hard water can be damaging to psoriasis, so consider counteracting its effects with alkaline water.
Disadvantages of Using Alkaline Water
Consuming too much alkaline water can disrupt the natural pH balance of the body and lead to alkalosis, a condition in which the body’s pH is too alkaline. Symptoms of alkalosis include confusion, muscle twitching, nausea, and tingling in the extremities.
Additionally, some people may experience digestive discomfort or increased urination when consuming alkaline water. It is also important to note that alkaline water is not a substitute for medical treatment and should be used in conjunction with a doctor’s recommendations for psoriasis management.
How to Use Alkaline Water for Psoriasis
Incorporating alkaline water into your psoriasis management plan can be done in several ways. Here are some suggestions:
- Drink Alkaline Water: The most straightforward way to incorporate alkaline water into your routine is to drink it. You can find alkaline water at many grocery stores, health food stores, or online. It is important to start with small amounts and gradually increase your intake to monitor any potential side effects.
- Use Alkaline Water for Cooking: You can also use alkaline water for cooking, such as in soups, stews, or when making tea or coffee. This can help increase your alkaline water intake and may have additional benefits for your digestive system.
- Use Alkaline Water for Skin Care: Psoriasis can cause dry and itchy skin, and using alkaline water for skin care may help. You can add alkaline water to your bath or use it as a facial toner. It is important to note that alkaline water should not replace prescribed psoriasis treatments or medications.
- Consider a Water Ionizer: A water ionizer is a device that can produce alkaline water from regular tap water. This can be a convenient way to incorporate alkaline water into your routine and may save you money in the long run. However, these devices can be expensive and require maintenance.
Does PH Affect Psoriasis?
The pH levels in the skin can impact the hydration levels of the epidermis through the functions of aquaporins. Any changes in pH levels can directly affect the development of psoriasis.
Can You Drink Alkaline Water every day?
You can incorporate alkaline water into your daily routine, but it’s important to not make a drastic transition as it may cause instability in your body functions. It’s recommended to still drink other types of water occasionally to maintain balance.
Is Skin Acidic or Alkaline?
Skin pH is slightly acidic to combat external germs and bacteria. It’s recommended to use products that match this level.
Which PH Level Is Good for Skin?
The ideal pH level for skin is between 4.6 and 5.8, which is slightly acidic. A neutral pH is 7, with anything above being alkaline and below being acidic.