Dealing with scalp psoriasis can be one of the most challenging tasks for individuals who suffer from it. The discomfort and frustration caused by this condition can be overwhelming, especially when it occurs on the scalp.
Not only is scalp psoriasis messy and uncomfortable, but it can also be visually unappealing, which can make it difficult for people to interact with others. However, there is hope in the form of Epsom salt, which has proven to be a godsend for those with scalp psoriasis.
Using Epsom salt can bring about positive changes in the lives of patients suffering from scalp psoriasis, significantly improving their condition. If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of Epsom salt for individuals with scalp psoriasis, keep reading, as we will cover everything you need to know.
Best Benefits of Epsom Salt for Scalp Psoriasis
Scalp psoriasis can cause a lot of discomfort and frustration, but Epsom salt has proven to be an effective solution for managing the symptoms associated with this condition. Here are some of the benefits of using Epsom salt for scalp psoriasis:
- Reduces inflammation: Epsom salt contains magnesium, which has anti-inflammatory properties. When applied to the scalp, it can help reduce inflammation and relieve itching caused by psoriasis.
- Exfoliates dead skin cells: The magnesium in Epsom salt also helps to exfoliate dead skin cells from the scalp. This can help remove flakes and reduce the appearance of psoriasis on the scalp.
- Soothes the scalp: Epsom salt has a soothing effect on the scalp, which can help alleviate the discomfort associated with psoriasis. It can also help to calm any redness or irritation caused by psoriasis.
- Improves absorption of other treatments: When used before other treatments, such as medicated shampoos, Epsom salt can help improve the absorption of these treatments into the scalp.
- Safe and affordable: Epsom salt is a safe and affordable solution for managing scalp psoriasis. It is readily available at most drugstores and can be easily incorporated into a regular hair care routine.
Epsom salt is a great natural solution for managing scalp psoriasis. It can help reduce inflammation, exfoliate dead skin cells, soothe the scalp, improve absorption of other treatments, and is safe and affordable.
Other benefits of Epsom Salt for Psoriasis
Reduced Pain and Swelling: Epsom salt can help reduce pain and swelling in the scalp. The magnesium in the salt is absorbed by the skin and boosts the anti-inflammatory response, providing a relaxing effect that can ease any pain present in the scalp or the body.
Promotes Sleep and Stress Reduction: One of the challenges of scalp psoriasis is the itching that occurs at night, leading to sleepless nights and increased stress. Epsom salt can help the body produce melatonin, a hormone that promotes sleep, leading to a more relaxed and calm state. Additionally, Epsom salt reduces itchiness by providing a massage sensation to the scalp, further promoting relaxation and sleep.
Helps with Constipation: Internal inflammation caused by constipation can make it challenging to heal scalp psoriasis. Epsom salt can help alleviate constipation, reducing inflammation and improving the healing process of scalp psoriasis.
Provides Magnesium: Magnesium is crucial for various bodily functions, including heart and brain health. With a magnesium deficit, the body is unable to speed up the healing of scalp psoriasis symptoms. Epsom salt provides magnesium to the body, helping to replenish any deficits and promote healing.
Pro tip: When it comes to treating scalp psoriasis, coconut oil can be an excellent base to mix with Epsom salt.
How to Use Epsom Salt for Scalp Psoriasis
If you’re looking for a natural and effective way to manage scalp psoriasis, Epsom salt can be a great option. Here’s how you can use Epsom salt for scalp psoriasis:
- Mix Epsom salt with coconut oil: Combine 1/4 cup of Epsom salt with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to create a paste. Coconut oil can serve as a base to mix with Epsom salt for a more manageable and easy-to-apply consistency.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp: Use your fingers to gently apply the mixture to your scalp. Massage the mixture into your scalp for about 5-10 minutes to allow the magnesium in the Epsom salt to penetrate your skin.
- Leave the mixture on your scalp: After massaging the mixture onto your scalp, leave it on for 15-20 minutes to allow it to soak in and provide relief to your scalp psoriasis.
- Rinse off with warm water: After 15-20 minutes, rinse off the mixture with warm water. Make sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any excess salt and oil.
- Repeat as needed: You can repeat this process once or twice a week to manage your scalp psoriasis symptoms. However, it’s important to consult with your doctor before trying any new treatment or remedy.
Side Effects of Epsom Salt for Psoriasis
Epsom salt is generally safe for use in treating psoriasis, but like any other treatment, it may cause side effects in some people. Here are some possible side effects of using Epsom salt for psoriasis:
- Skin irritation: Some people may experience skin irritation, redness, or itching after using Epsom salt on their scalp. If you notice any signs of skin irritation, stop using the treatment immediately.
- Dryness: Epsom salt may cause dryness in your scalp, which can worsen your psoriasis symptoms. Make sure to moisturize your scalp after using Epsom salt.
- Magnesium toxicity: Overuse of Epsom salt can lead to magnesium toxicity, which can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Make sure to follow the recommended dosage and frequency of use.
- Allergic reactions: In rare cases, some people may be allergic to Epsom salt and may experience an allergic reaction. Symptoms may include hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face or throat. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
It’s important to talk to your doctor before using Epsom salt for psoriasis, especially if you have any underlying medical conditions or are taking medications.
Did you know: Saltwater pools can be a great natural alternative for managing psoriasis symptoms. Consider exploring this option for your treatment plan.
Can you use Epsom salt on scalp?
Epsom salt can improve your hair care routine by adding volume to oily hair and definition to dry hair, while nourishing and strengthening your hair and scalp with its magnesium content.
How do you break up psoriasis on the scalp?
Soften thick psoriasis scales on your forehead, hairline, behind ears or on the back of your neck by massaging coconut, olive, or peanut oil into your scalp. Wear a shower cap overnight and shampoo in the morning. Repeat for 2-3 nights to remove dead skin.
What is the fastest way to cure psoriasis on the scalp?
Salicylic acid shampoos and scalp solutions, available in both nonprescription and prescription strengths, can reduce scaling in scalp psoriasis. They can be used alone or in combination with other topical therapies to prepare the scalp for better medication absorption.
What aggravates psoriasis on scalp?
Psoriasis on the scalp can be aggravated by common triggers such as skin injuries, excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, stress, and hormonal changes, especially during puberty and menopause. These triggers can cause the Koebner response, where psoriasis worsens at the site of skin injury.
Should I wash my hair everyday if I have scalp psoriasis?
If you have excessive buildup on your scalp, it could be seborrheic dermatitis or a form of scalp psoriasis, which require medicated shampoos and topical treatments. Daily washing alone may not be effective.
Does picking scalp psoriasis make it worse?
Picking at psoriasis scales can worsen symptoms and trigger more flares, known as the Koebner Phenomenon.