Knowing the history of baking soda use, it is not so hard to imagine that it can somewhat be useful when used to ease certain symptoms of skin conditions. Such is the case for psoriasis.
Baking soda can be used to relieve some psoriasis symptoms when you have nothing else at hand. And even if you have, this can be one of the best natural sources out there to do the proper job.
If you are interested to know the best uses for baking soda aid psoriasis symptoms then keep reading for more.
What is Baking Soda?
Baking soda also known as sodium bicarbonate is a popular baking ingredient that is mostly used for making foods such as cookies, muffins, cakes, and bread.
This item is very popular and it’s one of the most common household items. It can also have a lot of other multi uses from cleaning to health utilities.
Benefits of Using Baking Soda for Psoriasis
We can go on and on with the best uses of baking soda for psoriasis, but let’s focus on the main ones.
Relieves Itchy Skin
Sometimes it will be hard to sleep at night with psoriasis. You will have a never-ending itch sensation and scratching it will only make things worse. Plus you’ll put yourself at risk for infections.
One of the best ways to end this is by adding baking soda to your bath water and washing your body with it, don’t use hot water as it will damage your skin, just warm water.
When you’re done dry your skin in tapping motions, don’t wipe your skin with the towel. If done right the itchiness should decrease and come to a halt after a few minutes.
Eases Occasional Indigestion
When you are too much acidic in your stomach some indigestion occurs, but thing is, this acidity drags along your intestinal tract and ends up increasing internal inflammation.
That’s why using half a spoon of baking soda along with half a cup of water and drinking it, will ease any heartburn going on.
It will potentially lower any risk for continuous inflammation in your gut. This helps prevent or at least lower any risk of inflaming your intestines. And hopefully, you will stay psoriasis free.
Accelerates Healing in Skin Wounds and Mosquito Bites
Everyone knows that psoriasis is very hard on skin sensitivity, even the smallest thing like a mosquito bite can turn into a horror movie. You won’t turn into a mosquito humanoid but the wound can become nasty.
To accelerate the healing of the skin with cracked wounds and mosquito bites, do a paste with baking soda water and apply it to the area you want to treat.
Leave it for a while until the burning sensation has stopped, then remove it by washing it with water. You should have some sort of relief after a few minutes and it should be properly closed after a few hours.
Treat Nail Psoriasis Infections
The antibacterial properties of baking soda are also good for reducing bacterial infections on the nails. This will only be effective on mild nail infections, when facing severe infections please go see a doctor.
Consider applying a baking soda and water soak to ease down the infection going on your nails. This might require several attempts but you should see some improvements after a week or two.
Use it as Exfoliant for the Scalp
Baking soda can help greatly with mild pains, itching, and inflammation of the scalp.
You can use it as an effective scalp exfoliant, the anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of baking soda will help ease the itch and get rid of the psoriasis flakes stuck on the scalp.
It isn’t recommended to use it every day, see it as an occasional cleanse item.
Is It Safe to Bathe in Baking Soda?
Baking soda is safe for bathing as long as you don’t use it daily. This is an inexpensive and safe way to ease some health conditions.
Does Baking Soda Bath Help Psoriasis?
Baking soda can be one of the first lines of defense against psoriasis symptoms. You will need to seek a doctor for severe situations.
Is Baking Soda Good for Scalp Psoriasis?
Baking soda can help relieve some scalp psoriasis symptoms and it’s a quick way to ease an itchy scalp.
How to Use Baking Soda for Psoriasis
You can use baking soda in several ways, here are they:
- When used in a bath dissolve 1/2 a cup of baking soda in warm water to use.
- To be used for scalp psoriasis, use a glass of warm water and stir it with one tablespoon of baking soda. Use a washcloth or cotton pad to apply it to the scalp. You can also wash it off directly but if you are sensitive start applying little by little.
- For use in nails mix a paste of baking soda and water. Apply it regularly into your nails/toenails for a good while then wash it off.
- If you want to ease the occasional acid reflux mix 1/2 tsp with a 4-ounce glass of water. Drink it slowly and phased. Once the heartburn is gone discard the rest and you may become nauseous with it.
Side Effects of Baking Soda for Psoriasis
Like many natural ingredients, excesses of baking soda will also have some negative effects, among them are:
- Consuming too much baking soda will lead to sodium intoxication, when facing this it will cause vomiting and diarrhea, severe cases will cause seizures and kidney failure.
- When used as an antacid it may cause gastrointestinal problems because it produces a lot of gas. Also, avoid taking it after a large meal as it may cause stomach rupture.
- For people who have a greater risk of high blood pressure, like many psoriasis patients, the sodium contained in baking soda will rise blood pressure levels, so caution is needed.
- Other dangers include skin irritation and inflammation, over-drying of the skin, and worsened psoriasis breakouts.
Should I Start Using Baking Soda to Treat My Psoriasis?
Although more studies are needed to confirm the true potential of baking soda against psoriasis symptoms, truth is, there are so many testimonials online sharing their great experience that it is hard not to try it just for once.
When nothing seems to work, baking soda can be your go-to ingredient to ease whatever psoriasis symptom that’s bothering you.
If unsure you can always do some patch test and see how your skin reacts to it before starting anything else. The key to success is moderation, always start slow when using baking soda.
Never go to extreme lengths with it, these tips are meant for small improvements.
Always consult your doctor when trying something new. They will know better what’s best for your psoriasis.
And, if you had a great experience in using baking soda to relieve your psoriasis symptoms feel free to share this piece of content with someone who will appreciate it.