Ocean water can be one of the best ways to treat skin problems, especially if nothing else seems to be working. Patients often struggle back and forth between treatments without great results.
It turns out that ocean water can be very good for psoriasis and it has a lot of benefits associated with it.
If you want to know more about how can ocean water benefit your psoriasis then keep reading because we got it all covered.
Benefits of Ocean Water for Psoriasis
Everyone should enjoy a good swim in the ocean water at least a couple of times per year. Psoriasis patients can benefit a lot when swimming in the ocean, here are the advantages of it.
Cold Water Therapy
When you swim in the ocean it will act as a cold water therapy but with bigger benefits. For psoriasis patients, it will reduce muscle and joint pain, and ongoing inflammation and it will speed up the recovery of any injury.
It will also increase the blood flow and the circulation of it leading to better nutrient intake and better cell regeneration
Ocean water can promote the burning of calories, this is great news for psoriasis patients as they can always benefit from weight loss.
It won’t have a heavy toll on the muscles and joints and swimming is a great way to exercise your whole body.
Boosts the Immune System
By immersing yourself in ocean water you are regulating your antioxidant processes in the body, this is great at reducing the risk for strokes and heart diseases and it will also stimulate your body at getting better in germ protection.
Psoriasis patients unfortunately are at higher risk for cardiovascular diseases.
The micro-organisms and trace elements found in seawater can have anti-bacterial properties that will act as natural antibiotics. All of this is possible thanks to the absorption ability present on the skin.
Promotes the Well-Being and Mental Health
When you immerse yourself in deep cold water, it makes your mind only focus on what’s happening at that moment. This will clear your thoughts and will make a good meditation for your well-being.
Psoriasis patients need to avoid stress and other pressures to reduce any potential risks for psoriasis flare-ups, seawater is rich in magnesium which promotes muscle relaxation and deep sleep.
The time spent in nature is proven to benefit and reduce any risks for depression and other mental issues, ocean water can give you that and a whole lot more.
Promotes Skin Health
The ocean water is full of vitamins and minerals such as chloride, sulfate, calcium, sodium, and magnesium. These are essential for lowering cortisol levels in the body, in return, they will calm the nervous system.
This can be a huge advantage for psoriasis patients to reduce many of the stress effects that often lead to skin breakouts.
How to Bath in Ocean Water for Treating Psoriasis (Do This Trick for Better Results)
- Always try to choose a clean beach with clean water for bathing yourself. This guide will help you out in finding it.
- Try to go for a swim in the morning (8 A.M. to 11 A.M.) where there is less agitation on the beach/ocean so you can enjoy the most of it.
- Enjoy small baths of 10/15 min then return to your towel and rest a bit while drying up and enjoying some sun on your skin.
- Repeat at least 3 times for benefiting the most from your trip to the beach. And here is the trick. On the last swim if possible, wash in clean water, this will remove any excess salt and ocean impurities from your skin.
- The trick here is to never leave the final water on your skin. If you leave with that salty scent in your body you’ll be “cooking” your skin. This will lead to irritation and dehydration, thus the importance of bathing yourself with regular water before leaving.
Keeping Yourself Safe in the Sea While Swimming
- If water is too rough don’t enter it, splash yourself instead and return to safety, don’t cross any limits.
- Always swim with others, never swim alone, and beware of hypothermia, if feeling too cold return immediately and dry yourself up.
- Don’t adventure too far on the water, stay near the shore.
When done right you will have a wonderful experience with the benefits of ocean water for your psoriasis.
Side Effects of Ocean Water for Psoriasis
Like everything, ocean water can also have some side effects for psoriasis patients, among them are:
- If the water is too polluted it will increase the risk for infections, especially if you have open wounds.
- When swallowing water as it may make you sick leading to vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms.
- When eating at the beach wash your hands after a swim or you are putting yourself at risk for gastroenteritis or other complications. These may also destabilize your immune system leading to more psoriasis flare-ups.
Should You Start Bathing in Ocean Water for Treating Your Psoriasis?
This is easier said than done, if you live near a coastal area, maybe going to the ocean is not a problem for you, but for people who live farther away, that may not be a possibility.
Also, you may need to be watchful about the weather. Avoid going to the ocean in the wintertime as it may become very dangerous.
Huge waves can be quite dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing, and even for expert swimmers, it is not recommended to do it so.
But if the weather’s good and you have the chance to go for a swim in ocean waters then go ahead. It will be very healthy for your skin and you’ll enjoy every benefit of it.
Just make sure you are swimming in pollution-free waters and do proper skin care afterward.
If that is not the case you can also have some alternatives such as saltwater baths for your psoriasis. Thankfully nowadays there are a lot of alternatives out there.
Have you tried bathing in ocean water before? If yes and you think someone would like it feel free to share this article with them.