Psoriasis can be a challenging and distressing condition, especially when it affects a significant portion of your body. Despite trying various treatments, it may seem like nothing works.
However, there are other options to explore, such as biologic medications like Humira (adalimumab), which can potentially help you manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life.
Humira (adalimumab) is known to be effective in reducing the visual marks of Psoriasis and alleviating its symptoms.
In this article, we will delve into how Humira shots can benefit you and your Psoriasis. So, read on to learn more.
What Is Humira?
Humira is a prescription biologic medication primarily used to manage moderate to severe plaque psoriasis symptoms, although it may also be effective for other types of psoriasis.
The key ingredients in Humira are adalimumab (20mg), polysorbate 80 (0.2mg), mannitol (8.4mg), and water.
It’s important to note that Humira can only be prescribed by a licensed physician and is typically recommended for patients who have already tried other treatments and are now considering systemic therapy or phototherapy.
Although Humira is known for its potential to clear up to 75% of psoriasis symptoms, individual results may vary, and it’s essential to have realistic expectations when using this medication.
Benefits of Humira for Psoriasis Patients
Humira is known to be effective in reducing the visual marks of psoriasis and alleviating its symptoms. Here are some of the benefits of using Humira for psoriasis:
- Reduced Inflammation: Psoriasis is caused by an overactive immune system, which leads to inflammation in the skin. Humira works by blocking a protein called TNF-alpha, which is responsible for causing inflammation. By reducing inflammation, Humira can help to manage psoriasis symptoms such as redness, itching, and scaling.
- Improved Skin Appearance: Humira can also help to improve the appearance of psoriasis-affected skin. Studies have shown that Humira can clear up to 75% of psoriasis symptoms, such as plaques and redness, within a few months of treatment. This can help to boost self-confidence and improve overall quality of life.
- Long-Term Relief: Humira can provide long-term relief for psoriasis. Unlike some other treatments, such as topical creams, which may only provide temporary relief, Humira can help to keep psoriasis symptoms under control for an extended period. This can allow patients to lead a more normal life without constantly worrying about their condition.
It is important to note that Humira can have side effects, and it is essential to discuss the potential risks and benefits with a licensed physician before starting treatment.
However, for many patients with psoriasis, Humira can be a highly effective treatment option that can significantly improve their quality of life.
How Humira is used for Psoriasis Treatment
Here’s how to use Humira for psoriasis:
- Humira is a prescription medication and can only be prescribed by a licensed physician. Your doctor will determine if Humira is right for you based on your medical history and current condition.
- Humira comes in the form of an injectable pen or syringe. Your doctor or a trained healthcare professional will show you how to properly inject Humira. It’s important to follow the instructions carefully to ensure that you are getting the correct dose and that the injection is administered properly.
- Humira is typically injected under the skin (subcutaneously) in the thigh or abdomen. The injection site should be rotated with each dose to avoid injection site reactions.
- The dosing schedule for Humira can vary depending on the severity of your psoriasis and your response to treatment. Your doctor will determine the appropriate dosing schedule for you. Generally, the recommended starting dose for Humira is 80 mg, followed by 40 mg every other week.
- It’s important to continue using Humira as directed by your doctor, even if you start to feel better. Stopping or skipping doses of Humira can decrease its effectiveness in controlling psoriasis symptoms.
- It’s essential to be aware of the potential side effects of Humira and to report any side effects to your doctor immediately. It’s also important to avoid exposure to infections and to practice good hygiene, as Humira can increase the risk of infections.
Remember to always follow the instructions provided by your doctor and to report any concerns or side effects that arise during treatment. With proper use and monitoring, Humira can be an effective treatment option for psoriasis.
Side Effects of Humira for Psoriasis Patients
While Humira can be an effective treatment option for psoriasis, it’s essential to be aware of the potential side effects. Here are some of the most common side effects of Humira for psoriasis:
- Injection Site Reactions: The most common side effect of Humira is injection site reactions, which can include pain, redness, swelling, and itching at the injection site. These reactions are typically mild and go away within a few days.
- Increased Risk of Infections: Because Humira works by suppressing the immune system, it can increase the risk of infections. This can include serious infections such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, and sepsis. It’s important to be vigilant for signs of infection, such as fever, cough, and chills, and to seek medical attention if any symptoms arise.
- Allergic Reactions: In rare cases, Humira can cause allergic reactions. Symptoms can include difficulty breathing, hives, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
- Nervous System Disorders: There have been reports of nervous system disorders such as multiple sclerosis and seizures in patients taking Humira. While the risk of these conditions is low, it’s important to be aware of the potential risks and to discuss them with a licensed physician before starting treatment.
It’s important to remember that the benefits of Humira for psoriasis can outweigh the potential risks for many patients.
However, it’s essential to discuss the potential risks and benefits with a licensed physician and to report any side effects that arise during treatment.
What is the success rate of HUMIRA for psoriasis
At Week 16, 78% of patients treated with HUMIRA (n=99) achieved a PASI 75 improvement, compared to 19% of patients who received a placebo (n=48).
How Often Is Humira Injection for Psoriasis
The initial dosage of HUMIRA for adult patients with plaque psoriasis is 80 mg (milligrams) on Day 1 (using 2 pens). The maintenance dose consists of 40 mg on Day 8 (1 pen), followed by 40 mg every other week.
How long does Humira take to clear psoriasis
Seven out of ten adults with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis who use HUMIRA can anticipate a 75% reduction in skin symptoms (both severity and extent) within just four months. If your moderate to severe chronic plaque psoriasis is affecting your daily life, HUMIRA may offer assistance.
How long can you stay on HUMIRA
Humira (adalimumab) is a medication designed for long-term use. Your doctor will regularly assess your treatment to ensure that continuing with Humira remains suitable for your condition. The specific dosage of Humira can vary depending on the condition being treated. However, it’s common for many patients to remain on Humira for several years.
What foods should you avoid while taking Humira
Humira can elevate the risk of infections, and patients prescribed Humira may receive dietary recommendations to help prevent them. Infection prevention might entail abstaining from specific foods. For instance, patients may be advised to exercise extra caution in avoiding the consumption of raw or undercooked animal products, such as eggs, meat, and poultry.
What happens when you stop taking Humira for psoriasis
If you discontinue the use of Humira, the symptoms of your condition may return or worsen. This reoccurrence has been reported to happen even months after discontinuing Humira. If you are considering ending your Humira treatment, it’s essential to have a discussion with your doctor.
Does Humira Work for Plaque Psoriasis
Humira can be an effective treatment for plaque psoriasis. It works by blocking tumor necrosis factor (TNF) protein, which causes inflammation and triggers psoriasis symptoms. While some patients may see improvements within just two weeks of starting Humira, it may take up to four months to see long-lasting results on the skin.
Can Humira Cause Weight Gain
Humira is not known to cause weight gain or weight loss. However, if a patient on Humira develops a serious infection, they may experience complications and side effects that could lead to changes in weight. It’s important to note that any changes in weight during Humira treatment are likely due to other factors and should be discussed with a healthcare provider.
Can Humira Cause Hair Loss
While it’s possible for Humira to lead to hair loss, such occurrences are exceedingly rare. Consequently, if you are using Humira and observe hair loss, it is crucial to consult a doctor.
What are alternatives to Humira for psoriasis
Alternative choices: FDA-approved medications known as biosimilars closely resemble Humira and could be a viable option for you. These options include Adalimumab-atto (Amjevita) and Adalimumab-adbm (Cyltezo).
Who Should Not Take Humira for Psoriasis
Individuals who have heart failure or multiple sclerosis should consult with their doctor before taking Humira, as it may worsen their condition.
Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant should also inform their doctor as Humira may pose a risk to the fetus.
It’s important to talk to your doctor about your medical history and any current medications before starting Humira treatment.