In recent times, there has been a significant shift towards using natural products for the treatment of psoriasis symptoms. One such product that has gained popularity is rice water.
Rice water is being used by people to manage and control psoriasis symptoms without resorting to aggressive treatments. This can be particularly beneficial for individuals who are looking to detoxify their skin from topical agents and other harsh chemicals.
If you are interested in learning more about the potential benefits of using rice water for psoriasis, then continue reading as we have all the information you need.
What is Rice Water?
Rice water is a liquid that is obtained by soaking or boiling rice in water. The resulting cloudy water is rich in amino acids, vitamins, and antioxidants that are beneficial for the skin.
Apart from its nutritional value, rice water is also an excellent skincare ingredient that can be used as a cleanser and toner. Additionally, it has the ability to lighten hyperpigmentation caused by sun damage or aging.
By using rice water as a balm on your skin, you can take advantage of its various benefits to enhance the overall health and appearance of your skin.
The Benefits of Rice Water for Psoriasis
Here are some of the potential benefits of using rice water for psoriasis:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
Rice water has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the redness and inflammation associated with psoriasis. This is due to the presence of compounds like ferulic acid, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects. By reducing inflammation, rice water may help relieve the discomfort and pain associated with psoriasis.
- Antioxidant properties
Rice water is rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the skin from oxidative stress caused by free radicals. This is important for people with psoriasis because oxidative stress can exacerbate the condition. By using rice water on the skin, it may be possible to reduce the oxidative stress and prevent the worsening of psoriasis symptoms.
- Lightening hyperpigmentation caused by psoriasis
Psoriasis can cause hyperpigmentation, which is the darkening of the skin in the affected areas. Rice water contains enzymes that can help lighten the skin and reduce hyperpigmentation caused by psoriasis. This can help improve the overall appearance of the skin and boost self-esteem.
- Moisturizing effect on the skin
Rice water has a moisturizing effect on the skin, which can help relieve the dryness and itchiness associated with psoriasis. This is important because dry skin can exacerbate psoriasis symptoms. By moisturizing the skin, rice water can help keep it healthy and reduce the severity of psoriasis symptoms.
Other Benefits of Rice Water for Psoriasis
Maintaining healthy skin is a priority for everyone, especially for individuals with skin conditions like psoriasis. One natural product that has gained attention for its potential benefits is rice water. Here are some of the benefits of using rice water for psoriasis:
- Boosts the Skin Barrier
The starch content of rice water enhances the skin barrier, which is particularly important for people with psoriasis, as the condition can lead to dry and flaky skin. By using rice water on the skin, it can protect the body and prevent further damage.
- Reduces the Aging Process
Rice water contains minerals, antioxidants, and amino acids that potentially reduce and slow down the aging process. It inhibits the activity of Elastase, which helps maintain skin elasticity and reduces the appearance of many aging signs.
- Hydrates the Skin
Psoriasis can cause dry skin, which leads to the formation of flakes and other irritations. Rice water can help hydrate the skin, making it smooth and preventing the formation of skin cracks. It is important to prevent skin cracks, as they can cause itchiness and increase the risk of bacterial infections.
- Soothes Sunburns and Irritations
People with psoriasis are at risk for damage like sunburns and other irritations due to the lack of protection from a healthy skin barrier. Rice water has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe sunburns and irritations, relieve inflammation, redness, and itching, and protect the skin.
- Brightens the Skin
Rice water has the ability to brighten the skin, even out skin tone, and reduce scars and white marks caused by psoriasis. It can balance the skin color and keep it healthy, glowing, and clear.
How to Use Rice Water for Psoriasis
Rice water is a natural product that can potentially provide several benefits for individuals with psoriasis. Here are some tips on how to use rice water for psoriasis:
- Prepare the Rice Water
To prepare rice water, simply rinse 1/2 cup of rice with water to remove any impurities. Then, place the rice in a bowl and cover it with 2-3 cups of water. Let the rice soak for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours, depending on the strength of the solution you want to use.
After soaking, strain the rice and collect the rice water in a clean bowl.
- Apply Rice Water to the Skin
Rice water can be applied to the skin using a cotton ball or a spray bottle. It is important to start with a small amount of rice water and test it on a small area of the skin to check for any adverse reactions.
If there is no reaction, gently apply rice water to the affected area and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then, rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Use Rice Water as a Soak
In addition to applying rice water topically, it can also be used as a soak for the entire body. Add 2-3 cups of rice water to a warm bath and soak for 10-15 minutes. This can help hydrate the skin, reduce inflammation, and provide other benefits.
- Use Rice Water Regularly
Consistency is key when using rice water for psoriasis. It is important to use rice water regularly to see the potential benefits. Some people may see improvements within a few days, while others may need to use it for several weeks or even months to see results.
Using Rice Water for Scalp Psoriasis
Rice water is also a popular home remedy for scalp psoriasis, as it contains amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that can help soothe and nourish the scalp. Here are the steps to using rice water for scalp psoriasis:
- Start by washing your hair with a mild shampoo and rinsing it thoroughly.
- Take half a cup of uncooked rice and rinse it with water to remove any dirt or impurities.
- Put the rinsed rice in a bowl and add 2 cups of water.
- Let the rice soak in the water for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes, strain the rice and keep the rice water in a separate bowl.
- Apply the rice water to your scalp, making sure to cover all affected areas.
- Gently massage your scalp with your fingertips for a few minutes to help the rice water penetrate your skin.
- Leave the rice water on your scalp for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with warm water to remove the rice water.
- You can use this treatment once a week or as needed.
Note: If you experience any irritation or allergic reaction, stop using the rice water and consult a dermatologist.
Side Effects of Rice Water for Psoriasis
While rice water can be a beneficial treatment for psoriasis, there are some potential side effects that should be considered:
- Protein overload: Using too much rice water can lead to a potential protein overload, which can prevent other topical treatments from penetrating the skin.
- Time frame: Results may take some time to be visible, so patience is required for this treatment.
- Unpleasant smell: Rice water can have a distinct smell that some people may find unpleasant, making it less desirable to use.
- Arsenic content: Some rice water may contain small amounts of arsenic. Rice is often grown in former cotton fields in the US where pesticides containing arsenic were used, and rice plants tend to absorb this chemical.
- Dry scalp: Using rice water on the scalp for extended periods can lead to dryness and exacerbate existing scalp problems. It is best to limit use or follow a gentle application and rinse routine.
In conclusion, rice water is a natural product that can potentially provide several benefits for people with psoriasis. It is important to exercise caution when using it on the skin, especially for people with sensitive skin.