One of the biggest adoptions that are happening nowadays is the preference for natural products when it comes to treating psoriasis symptoms. This is the case for rice water.
People are using rice water to treat psoriasis symptoms and control it without the use of aggressive treatments. This can be useful to individuals who are detoxifying their skins from topical agents and such.
If you want to know more about what rice water can do for your psoriasis then keep reading because we got it all covered.
What is Rice Water?
Rice water is the resulting liquid that is created when you soak rice in water, or when you cook it for a while.
This process will result in cloudy water that is full of amino acids, vitamins, and antioxidants that are very healthy for the skin.
This water is great for using as a balm on your skin it will serve as a cleanser and toning agent. It is also able to lighten hyperpigmentation caused by the sun or by the aging process.
Benefits of Rice Water for Psoriasis (When You Use It Like This)
There are many benefits for rice water as a goto solution, please follow along.
Boost the Skin Barrier
When your skin barrier becomes dry and flaky it loses the ability to protect your body. Skin conditions like psoriasis, unfortunately, make this a recurrent reality.
The good news is when you apply rice water to your skin, the starch content of it enhances the skin barrier thanks to its natural components.
Reduces the Aging Process
One of the processes that mark the downfall of our skin is the aging process. Cells fail to regenerate and will not produce the necessary collagen for maintaining youth.
The present minerals, antioxidants and amino acids in rice water will potentially reduce and slow down the skin aging process.
It inhibits the activity of Elastase thus maintaining skin elasticity. In the long run, this will be noticeable as it will reduce the appearance of many aging signs.
Hydrates on the Skin
Psoriasis is well known for drying the skin up, this, unfortunately, leads to the formation of flakes and other exacerbations.
Using rice water on those spots is perfect for hydrating the skin and making it smooth with a porcelain-like texture.
Preventing skin cracks is of utmost importance. They will cause itchiness and when scratching them with your nails you can cause infections due to the bacteria underneath them.
Soothes Sunburns and Irritations
When you lose the skin barrier to localized psoriasis you are at risk for damage like sunburns and other irritations on the skin.
Inflammation, redness, and itching can also happen due to that lack of protection. You can relieve those symptoms by using starchy rice water.
If you use it cold it will even boost the soothing and will give you a nice sensation while lowering those symptoms.
Brightens Your Skin
Another feature of rice water is the ability to brighten the skin. This will provide an even skin tone, it is important when you are recovering from psoriasis.
The healing process of psoriasis leaves white marks and other scars along the way. You can even your skin tone with rice water, it will balance the skin color by keeping it healthy, glowing, and clear.
How to make Rice Water for Psoriasis
You can make rice water using two methods, just to the following steps:
- For this method, you will soak 1 cup of rice of your choice with 2-3 cups of water for 30 minutes (for best results leave it overnight in an airtight container).
- Then strain the rice and separate it from the water. Refrigerate it for later use.
- In this method, you will boil 1 cup of rice with the normal amount for cooking it (don’t forget that some water will evaporate, so, use a little more than usual).
- Then strain the starchy water and separate it from the remaining rice. Let it cool down completely and refrigerate it for later use.
How to Use Rice Water for Psoriasis
For faster use, you can put the rice water in a sprayer and use it in localized spots to treat them, but it is ok to use it in a bowl as well.
Don’t forget to clean the spot you will be treated, if you are treating scalp psoriasis just make sure you don’t have any prior products in your hair so they won’t be absorbed by the skin.
Apply the water to the areas you want to treat and leave it for 20-30 minutes, then wash it off with water, and you’re done for the day.
Does Rice Water Help Skin?
Rice water is one of the best natural treatments you can use for the skin. It can reduce the aging process and treat other damages to the skin.
Is Fermented Rice Water Good for Skin?
Yes, fermented rice water can help improve your skin health, especially from skin damage caused by external agents.
Can I Use Rice Water every day?
It is perfectly fine to use rice water every day as long as you remove it after 20-30 minutes after applying it.
Side Effects of Rice Water for Psoriasis
Like many things using rice water excessively for treating psoriasis may come with a cost, this can lead to consequences such as:
- Overloading yourself with rice water can lead to potential protein overload, this will prevent other topical treatments from penetrating the skin.
- It may take a long time to see any results, if you are not patient, rice water is not the treatment for you.
- Rice water can leave a characteristic smell on your skin, this includes your scalp and your hair. Some people don’t like this smell thus avoiding using it.
- Some rice water can contain arsenic (a small amount). Rice that is grown in the US is often cultivated in former cotton fields where pesticides containing arsenic were used. Rice plants tend to absorb that, and it eventually carries onto the rice.
- Using rice water on your scalp may dry it and make it worse. This happens when people leave it overnight or for extended periods. They end up having a bad dry scalp problem.
Should I Start Using Rice Water to Treat Psoriasis?
Many products already use rice water properties to heal skin conditions like psoriasis, but some people still prefer to use the natural ingredient.
On that account, there is no harm in trying it out and you’ll spare a few dollars in the process if this ends up being your chosen method for treating simple or mild psoriasis symptoms.
You don’t need to use it often, but if you decide to go “clean” for a quarter, this may be a good solution for doing it.
In the end, it’s as long as you use it in moderation, it will be one more natural alternative that you can use to treat yourself. It’s always good to have options, especially when it comes to psoriasis.
If you had a great experience using rice water to treat psoriasis please share this piece of content with someone who might appreciate it.