In recent times, Bag Balm has made its way to the city. Some people with psoriasis have turned to the balm during flare-ups to relieve itching and pain.
If you are a psoriasis sufferer and would like to know more about how Bag Balm can benefit you, keep reading as we have all the information you need.
What is Bag Balm
Bag Balm is a time-honored product that has been around for over a century. In 1899, it was created to treat cows’ chapped and irritated udders and teats. Farmers applied the balm by hand and soon realized that not only were their cows’ udders and teats healing, but their hands were also benefiting.
The balm prevented their hands from becoming chapped, sore, and rough, making them much softer. Additionally, the product helped to reduce calluses. As a result, Bag Balm became an essential item on every farm, with virtually every farm kitchen containing a green can of the product.
It’s understandable why people with psoriasis turn to Bag Balm for relief during tough flare-ups. In the following section, we will explore the benefits of this product and how it can help soothe the most severe psoriasis symptoms.
Benefits of Using Bag Balm to Treat Symptoms of Psoriasis
Here are some of the benefits of using Bag Balm to treat symptoms of psoriasis:
- Moisturizing: Bag Balm is an excellent moisturizer that helps to soothe and hydrate dry, flaky skin. This can be especially beneficial for people with psoriasis, as dry skin can exacerbate their symptoms.
- Healing: Bag Balm contains ingredients like lanolin and petrolatum that help to heal and protect the skin. This can help to reduce inflammation and redness, which are common symptoms of psoriasis.
- Non-irritating: Bag Balm is gentle and non-irritating, making it suitable for use on even the most sensitive skin. This is particularly important for people with psoriasis, as their skin can be easily irritated by harsh products.
- Versatile: Bag Balm can be used on a variety of skin conditions, including cuts, scrapes, and burns. This makes it a versatile product to have on hand for people with psoriasis, who may experience a range of skin issues.
Bag Balm can be a helpful addition to a psoriasis treatment regimen. While it may not be a cure for the condition, it can provide relief from some of the uncomfortable symptoms associated with psoriasis.
Effective Ways to Use Bag Balm for Treating Psoriasis Symptoms
Here are some practical ways to use Bag Balm to manage psoriasis symptoms:
Dry, cracked skin can be a real pain to deal with, but Bag Balm is a trusted solution for many Psoriasis patients. Here are some ways to use it effectively for Psoriasis skin issues:
- For cracked hands and feet: When other products fail to provide relief for Psoriasis, try using Bag Balm. For long-lasting comfort, use the 8oz Hand & Body Moisturizer Tin.
- For cuts and scrapes: Applying a little Bag Balm to Psoriasis broken skin before bandaging can help soothe and promote healing. Use the 8oz Hand & Body Moisturizer Tin for convenience.
- For chapped lips: Applying Bag Balm before bed can help you wake up with refreshed, moisturized lips. Try the 1oz Mini Moisturizing Tin or the Lip Moisturizer Tube for on-the-go use.
- For slugging: Applying a layer of Bag Balm over your nighttime Psoriasis skin routine can help seal in moisture. The 8oz Hand & Body Moisturizer Tin is perfect for daily use.
- For tattoos: Applying Bag Balm to a fresh tattoo can help keep it moisturized especially if you have Psoriasis. Try the 1oz Mini Moisturizing Tin or the Sport Tube Moisturizer for easy on-the-go use.
- For burns and sunburns: Applying a layer of Original Bag Balm before the Psoriasis on your skin starts to peel can help soothe and moisturize. Use the 8oz Hand & Body Moisturizer Tin for full-coverage areas.
- For new moms: Bag Balm can be a lifesaver for new moms who suffer from Psoriasis, from breastfeeding to baby’s skin. The 1oz Mini Moisturizing Tin fits in any size bag for easy use.
Step-by-Step Guide: Applying Bag Balm for Psoriasis Treatment
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply Bag Balm for treating psoriasis:
- Wash and dry the affected area: Before applying Bag Balm, make sure the affected area is clean and dry.
- Take a small amount of Bag Balm: Using clean fingers, take a small amount of Bag Balm from the container. A little goes a long way, so start with a small amount and apply more if needed.
- Apply Bag Balm to the affected area: Gently massage the Bag Balm onto the affected area using circular motions. Make sure to cover the entire affected area.
- Let the Bag Balm absorb: Allow the Bag Balm to absorb into the skin for a few minutes before covering the area with clothing or a bandage.
- Reapply as needed: Depending on the severity of your psoriasis symptoms, you may need to reapply Bag Balm several times throughout the day. Follow the instructions on the packaging or consult with your healthcare provider for guidance on how often to apply.
- Wash your hands: After applying Bag Balm, wash your hands thoroughly to avoid spreading the product to other areas of your body.
Remember to consult with your healthcare provider before using Bag Balm or any other product to treat psoriasis. They can provide personalized advice on the best treatment options for your specific condition.
Is Bag Balm Safe and Effective for Treating Psoriasis
Bag Balm is generally considered to be safe for most people with psoriasis, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
First, the key ingredient in Bag Balm is petrolatum, which is an FDA-approved skin protectant and is generally considered safe for use on the skin. However, it is derived from petroleum and can potentially generate 1,4-dioxane, which is a substance that may contribute to cancer. It’s important to note, however, that the petrolatum used in cosmetics is highly purified, and the risk of exposure to 1,4-dioxane is very low.
The other ingredient in Bag Balm that may be a concern for some people with psoriasis is lanolin. Lanolin is derived from sheep’s wool and is used in many skin care products as a moisturizer. While it is generally considered to be safe for intact skin, lanolin can cause an allergic reaction in some people, particularly if they have damaged skin. If you have a known lanolin allergy or aren’t sure if you do, it’s best to avoid products that contain lanolin.
Overall, Bag Balm may be a helpful addition to your psoriasis treatment regimen, particularly for moisturizing dry, flaky skin. However, it’s important to be aware of the potential risks associated with its ingredients and to talk to your doctor before using it as a psoriasis treatment.
Our Verdict on Using Bag Balm for Treating Psoriasis Symptoms
Bag Balm can be a helpful option for individuals with Psoriasis who have severely dry and cracked skin or for those who are interested in its other uses listed above. The occlusive emollients in Bag Balm make it an effective moisturizer for treating psoriasis symptoms.
- Bag Balm contains high-quality occlusive emollients
- Many positive reviews attest to the effectiveness of Bag Balm
- Versatile product with multiple uses
- Some individuals may find the scent of Bag Balm to be unpleasant.
Is Bag Balm good for psoriasis
Bag Balm primarily consists of lanolin, with some petrolatum and a hint of 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate, a derivative of coal tar. The presence of this coal tar derivative makes Bag Balm highly effective in providing relief for eczema and psoriasis.
Why does Bag Balm work so well
Harnessing the soothing power of lanolin, Bag Balm is your go-to solution for softening and moisturizing dry skin from head to toe. When all else fails, Bag Balm truly works wonders! And for long-lasting lip hydration, you need not search any further. Lanolin effectively soothes and softens chapped lips, while petrolatum locks in essential moisture.
What are the four ingredients in Bag Balm
Bag Balm keeps it simple with four key ingredients. It includes petroleum for moisturization, lanolin for soothing and softening, paraffin wax to bind the balm together, and 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate as a preservative to ensure your tin of Bag Balm remains fresh for an extended period. There are no added colors or fragrances in this straightforward formulation.
Do dermatologists recommend Bag Balm
When it comes to moisturizers, a dense and greasy formula is often preferred. If you’re dealing with dry skin and your current moisturizer isn’t doing the trick, consider switching to a thicker option. Dermatologists commonly recommend thick moisturizers for use on the body and limbs, such as petrolatum, Aquaphor, Eucerin, and Bag Balm.
What are the side effects of Bag Balm
Serious side effects of Bag Balm may include signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, hives, itching, skin redness, swelling, blistering, or peeling (with or without fever). Be attentive to symptoms like wheezing, chest or throat tightness, breathing difficulties, swallowing or speaking troubles, unusual hoarseness, or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat. If you experience any of these reactions, seek immediate medical assistance.
Is Bag Balm an antifungal
Bag Balm is a medication used to prevent minor skin infections resulting from small cuts, scrapes, or burns. It operates by inhibiting the growth of specific bacteria and falls under the category of antibiotics. However, it is not effective against viral or fungal infections.
What does Bag Balm heal
Bag Balm is a versatile skin moisturizer designed to soothe and hydrate skin that’s chapped, cracked, dry, or distressed. It’s especially effective at moisturizing severely dry skin that is prone to cracking, splitting, or chafing.
How long does it take for Bag Balm to work
Bag Balm springs into action immediately! Its potent formula for dry, cracked hands starts working right away, delivering swift and effective relief for a range of skin conditions.