Psoriasis can be a challenging condition to manage, as it can significantly impact a person’s quality of life and ability to carry out daily activities. However, if you’re struggling with psoriasis, there’s no need to feel overwhelmed. There are a variety of solutions available to you, including natural treatments that can be done from the comfort of your own home.
Rather than relying solely on heavy pharmaceuticals to alleviate psoriasis symptoms, consider exploring natural treatments. It may seem surprising, but it is possible to effectively manage psoriasis without medication or other drugs. With patience and perseverance, you can see the results for yourself.
Effective Natural Treatments for Psoriasis Relief
Here are 13 quick and easy natural treatments you can prepare at home for your psoriasis.
- Petroleum Jelly: Apply a thick moisturizer or petroleum jelly to reduce redness and dryness. It will hydrate your skin and provide relief from itching.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix it with water and apply it to your scalp to clear the scales. Wash it off once it dries to avoid any irritation.
- Epsom Salts: Add them to your bath to get rid of scales and soothe your skin. Seal with a moisturizer afterward to preserve water in your skin.
- Minced Capsaicin: Apply it directly to the skin to reduce inflammation, redness, and pain. Try a little sample on your skin before using it to avoid any burning sensation.
- Tea Tree Oil: Use it to clean your scalp and reduce inflammation. There are many shampoos in the market that contain tea tree oil.
- Coconut Oil: Use it as a skin soother and hair mask. Keep it on overnight and remove it in the morning.
- Oatmeal Bath: Add ground-up oats to your bath to soothe your skin and leave it soft and smooth.
- Oregon Grape: Use creams that contain Oregon grape extract, which has strong antimicrobial qualities and is effective against inflammation.
- Aloe Vera Gel: Use it in its natural form or look for creams containing extracts from it to benefit from direct absorption.
- Indigo Naturalis: Use it in ointment form to relieve psoriasis symptoms.
- Baking Soda: Use it to wash off itching caused by psoriasis. Dilute it with water and apply it gently.
- Tea: Use herbal teas like mint, lavender, and calendula to soothe your skin and reduce inflammation. They are also available in shampoo, ointment, and oil form.
- Olive Oil: Apply it warm to the skin to reduce inflammation and soften scales.
While these natural treatments may not have enough scientific evidence to back up their effectiveness, many people have reported positive results.
Psoriasis Natural Foods to Consume For Your Body
Consuming certain natural foods can significantly improve psoriasis symptoms. Here are some options:
- Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in a variety of foods, including soy, fatty fishes (such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, kipper, herring, and pilchard), some seeds, nuts, and flaxseed oil. These foods have been shown to improve skin condition, but it’s important to consume them in moderation.
- Shark cartilage is a more refined solution for psoriasis relief, but it can be quite expensive to maintain. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid taking it at all costs.
- One of the simplest and most effective solutions for psoriasis relief is staying hydrated. Drink plenty of water, and use apps to calculate the right amount for your weight and height.
- Eating more fruits and vegetables can be a great way to improve psoriasis symptoms. Use some veggies as a substitute for meat to get all the necessary vitamins and nutrients.
- Flaxseed is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients. You can consume it in oil with salads, smoothies, morning cereals, yogurt, brownies, or mix it with water and drink it daily. Flaxseed can also be a great source of high-quality protein.
- Turmeric is a popular spice in Indian food that has been shown to reduce inflammation. You can add it to rice, pasta, vegetables, or other dishes.
- Changing your diet can be an effective way to control psoriasis symptoms. A Mediterranean diet or a gluten-free diet may help some people, while others may find relief by becoming vegan. The key is to consume food in moderation.
By incorporating these natural foods into your diet, you may be able to manage your psoriasis symptoms and improve your overall health.
Other Natural Practices You can do for Psoriasis Relief
One of the easiest things you can do to improve your psoriasis symptoms is to get enough sun exposure every day. You don’t need direct sunlight to produce vitamin D, as UV rays can still penetrate through clouds. However, avoid high-risk hours when UV light rays are at their peak to avoid skin damage.
Body and Mind Practices
Treating your body and mind is equally important for managing psoriasis symptoms. Meditation, deep breathing exercises, and aromatherapy can help you achieve inner peace, relaxation, and reduce anxiety. These exercises can have a positive impact on your skin health in the long run.
Yoga, Reiki, or Tai Chi practices are excellent middle ground options between exercise and meditation. If these practices work for you, stick with them for a while and see what happens. Proper physical exercise can also be beneficial in relieving symptoms and promoting long-term effects against psoriasis.
In some advanced stages, there are alternative methods you can try to help relieve your symptoms.